Landlord Insurance Montana

Get the right protection for your Montana rental property without breaking the bank. Receive a personalized quote instantly.

Rental Property Insurance Landlords Love and Trust

Affordable Rates

Check if you can save $100’s on your existing properties. We offer industry-best rates for the coverage that is right for you as a landlord.

The Right Coverage

Reduce your risk and relax knowing that your landlord insurance will offer you protection against the unexpected.

Simple and transparent

Receive a rental property insurance quote online in less than a minute with zero commitment and no phone call required.

We make it easy 
to switch

Already insured? We make 
it easy to switch. On average, landlords save 25%.

How Baselane’s Montana Landlord Insurance Works

Simple, Affordable and Transparent

Save time

Simply provide your email and answer a few property questions to get started. Forget about confusing paper applications or having 
to speak to someone on the phone.

Save money

Our simple quote request process will match you with the right Montana rental insurance for your property. Saving you up to 25% on your existing policy.

Gain peace of mind

Reduce your risk and increase financial security knowing you have the right coverage for your property!

Landlord Insurance is a Better Option

Coverage Baselane logo Baselane logo Homeowners Insurance
General Liability
Personal Property


Loss of Rent
Other Structures
True 1
False 2
Medical Payments

N/A 3


1 Other structures: May require an endorsement or add-on, Covers other buildings on the property not attached to the main structure.

2 Other Structures: Covers other buildings on the property not attached to the main structure.

3 Medical payments: Covers guests’ medical bills if they are injured on the property.

Insurance Landlords Love and Trust

“No phone calls or lengthy application needed. I submitted my quote online and and had better coverage for a fraction on the cost in a matter of minutes.”

Martin L. Denver Co

“As a new landlord just starting out, I was recommended baselane and Obie for my property insurance needs. They made the process incredibly easy and now have peace of mind that my property is covered.”

John H. Philadelphia, PA

“This is easily the the best quote I have received. I get everything I need and want covered at an extremely attractive rate. The best part…it only took me 5-minutes!”

Michelle P. San Francisco, CA

Actual results vary by customer

Frequently asked questions

Landlord insurance, also called rental property insurance, covers risks associated with renting your home, apartment, or condominium to tenants for long periods of time. Coverage typically includes loss of rental income for landlords along with property damage and liability costs. A landlord insurance policy is often recommended for homeowners who rent a property for any amount of time.


You may see landlord insurance also referred to as a DP3 (Dwelling Fire Policy).

Landlord insurance is usually broken down into two parts — property coverage and liability coverage.

Property coverage protects the physical structure of the home. This would be your walls, roof, flooring, and other physical features of the property.

Liability coverage protects you against bodily injury or other accidents that may occur on the property, or other claims made against you as a homeowner.

A homeowners insurance policy and a landlord policy are similar in that they cover the physical structure of the building, but they differ in several important ways.

First, a homeowners policy covers the contents of the property while a landlord policy typically does not. Here, contents refer to personal belongings, clothes, and furniture that you most likely won’t be living at the property with your resident, so you don’t need to pay for coverage. Although if you choose to keep some items on-premise, such as a lawnmower, for your tenants to use, a landlord policy can cover that.

A landlord policy also includes important coverages like loss of rent, which protects your rental income.

Yes. All mortgage companies or lenders will require that you have a landlord insurance policy on the property in Montana, even if you previously had a homeowners policy on the property.

Sometimes it can be, but it all depends on the property. Insurance carriers typically price these policies a little higher because you’re not living in the home and would potentially catch issues before they turn into larger problems.

Homeowner insurance is designed for individuals who own and live in a property, providing coverage for the home’s structure, personal belongings, liability, and additional living expenses. It addresses the needs and risks faced by residential property owners.



In contrast, landlord insurance is tailored for property owners who rent out their properties to tenants. It covers the rental property itself, including the building structure, attached or detached structures, and landlord-owned contents. Landlord insurance also includes liability coverage for injuries or damages on the rental property and provides protection for loss of rental income if the property becomes uninhabitable due to covered perils.

Landlord insurance protects you and your property from damage, such as a fire or hail, similar to the homeowners insurance policy you’re familiar with. If you are renting a property and you have regular homeowners insurance, most likely damages will not be covered.

However, landlord insurance is even more important because you’re not living in the home anymore. Your homeowner’s policy may not protect you from damages that occur at your property while it’s being rented out. And your homeowner’s insurance will not cover your loss of rent in the case that your property becomes uninhabitable for short periods of time.

Determining the appropriate coverage amount for your rental property in a landlord insurance policy involves evaluating several key factors. Here are some steps to help you determine the coverage amount:


  • Property Value and Replacement Cost
  • Liability Considerations
  • Loss of Rental Income
  • Additional Coverage


Learn more here.

  • Yes, you can still obtain rental property insurance for a vacant property, but there may be restrictions.
  • Many insurance policies have a vacancy clause that outlines coverage limitations during vacancy.
  • Vacant property insurance is available for extended periods of vacancy or properties that don’t meet regular landlord insurance criteria.


Consult with our insurance experts about specific requirements and options for insuring your vacant rental property. Click here to get a quote and get a free consultation.

Ready for an instant quote?

Join thousands of customers who received
landlord insurance from us
Get an Instant Quote
Get an instant quote

Get an Instant Insurance Quote

Property Insurance Estimate

Click here to insure your property

Powered by Obie